Tex-Mex pulled chicken soup
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb 450 g boneless chicken thighs
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, choppedyellow onions, chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
- salt or ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups 475 ml water or chicken broth
- 1¾ cups 425 ml heavy whipping cream or coconut cream
- 2⁄3 lb (3 cups) 300 g (700 ml) celery stalk, dicedcelery stalks, diced
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz.) 60 ml (33 g) roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 1 lime, in wedgeslimes, in wedges
- ½ cup (¼ oz.) 120 ml (8 g) fresh cilantro
- Add the oil to a large frying pan on medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and Tex-Mex seasoning. Fry the chicken until the onion is soft and the chicken has some color.
- Pour in the broth or water and cook the chicken for about 15 minutes or until tender. Shred the chicken in the pot using two forks.
- Add the cream and celery. Let the soup simmer for 5 minutes.
- When serving, top the soup with roasted pumpkin seeds, paprika powder, lime, and cilantro.
Feel free to cook more chicken at the same time and pull it out before adding the cream and celery. Pulled chicken is great to keep in the refrigerator for salads, sandwiches or in an omelette. For this recipe, you can also use chicken or turkey leftovers, or a prepared rotisserie chicken. If your fresh cilantro looks a bit tired, mix it with some avocado or olive oil and you get a lovely herb oil! Perfect to drizzle the soup with.
Most of the ingredients, like the onion, coconut cream and carrots all contribute carbs. Celery would not be a great substitute for rutabaga. You may have better luck with radishes which are lower carb and lose their spiciness when cooked.
This is a recipe from our moderate low carb collection. If you are looking only for very low carb recipes, you may be more interested in our keto recipe collection.
Keep up the good work you all do. Saving lives and teaching good health and nutrition. I am member for life.
Thank you for your kind words! I am so glad you've found the recipes and Diet Doctor to be so helpful. I shared this with our team :)
This recipe was updated August 4. The team may have updated the instructions for this recipe.