Mini keto cream buns (Swedish semlor)
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- 4 oz. (½ cup) 110 g (110 ml) cream cheese, room tempered
- 2 oz. 55 g butter, room tempered
- ½ cup (2¼ oz.) 120 ml (65 g)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp ground cardamom (green)
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) almond flour
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp whey protein isolate (unflavored) or
- 1½ tbsp 1½ tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- ¾ cup (3 oz.) 180 ml (85 g) almond flour
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- 4 4 drops bitter almond extract
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp
- 1 cup 240 ml , whipped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine eggs, cream cheese, butter, erythritol, baking powder, and cardamom in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add almond flour, whey protein powder, and psyllium husk powder to the same bowl. Stir until smooth. Let the dough rest for about 5-10 minutes, or until the psyllium husk has absorbed the liquid and the dough has a solid consistency.
- Shape into separate buns and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the buns are a nice golden color. Use a toothpick or thin skewer to test that they're cooked in the middle. (They are cooked when the toothpick comes out with no dough on it.)
- Remove from oven and let the buns rest until they have cooled down.
- Mix the ingredients for the almond paste in a bowl and blend until the filling is evenly combined and smooth.
- For serving, take a sharp knife and cut out the top on each bun. Make a small pit in the middle and fill with the almond paste mixture.
- Spread out or pipe heavy whipped cream on top and put the lid on. Dust with powdered erythritol using a small sieve or a tea strainer for the final touch.
Do you want rounder buns? Then add double amount of fiber husk. Some don't like the taste of psyllium, in that case bake according to the original recipe. The buns will be slightly flatter but still moist and delicious!
Brush the buns with beaten egg before baking for glossy buns.