Low carb Christmas pâté with cranberry pickled red onions
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) red onion, thinly slicedred onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup 120 ml fresh or frozen cranberries or lingonberries
- ½ cup 120 ml apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup 120 ml water
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 16 oz. 450 g chicken liver or beef liver, drainedchicken livers or beef liver, drained
- 8 oz. 230 g ground beef
- 6 oz. 170 g bacon
- 1 (1 oz.) 1 (30 g) shallot, finely choppedshallots, finely chopped
- 15 15 dried juniper berries
- 2 tsp 2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 2⁄3 cup 160 ml
- 2 tsp 2 tsp butter
- 3½ oz. 100 g dill pickledill pickles (optional)
Cranberry pickled red onions
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together red onions, cranberries, vinegar, water, and salt. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least one day before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Cut the liver and bacon into small pieces. Place the liver, ground beef, bacon, and the chopped shallot in a food processor. Mix into a coarse batter.
- Crush juniper berries and rosemary with a mortar and pestle or with a spice mill or coffee grinder until powdered. Add the juniper berries, rosemary, salt, and pepper, egg, and sour cream into the food processor. Mix a few seconds to combine.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 1 hour, covered with aluminum foil. Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Use a spatula to remove the pâté from the loaf pan and place it on a serving dish. Serve cooled to room temperature or wrap tightly and refrigerate before serving.
- Slice the pâté and serve with pickled red onions and cranberries as well as dill pickles if desired.
If you’re serving this pâté for the holidays, it’s easy to prepare in advance, and leftovers should keep for up to 4-5 days when refrigerated. The pâté should also freeze well to enjoy later. Simply remove from the freezer and let thaw in the refrigerator before enjoying.
For a healthy breakfast, add some warmed pâté to a plate of scrambled or boiled eggs.
Recommended special equipment
Food processor, pestle and mortar.