Low-carb Christmas pâté with cranberry pickled red onions
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) red onion, thinly slicedred onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup 120 ml fresh or frozen cranberries or lingonberries
- ½ cup 120 ml apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup 120 ml water
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 16 oz. 450 g chicken liver or beef liver, drainedchicken livers or beef liver, drained
- 8 oz. 230 g ground beef
- 6 oz. 170 g bacon
- 1 (1 oz.) 1 (30 g) shallot, finely choppedshallots, finely chopped
- 15 15 dried juniper berries
- 2 tsp 2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 2⁄3 cup 160 ml
- 2 tsp 2 tsp butter
- 3½ oz. 100 g dill pickledill pickles (optional)
Cranberry pickled red onions
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together red onions, cranberries, vinegar, water, and salt. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least one day before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Cut the liver and bacon into small pieces. Place the liver, ground beef, bacon, and the chopped shallot in a food processor. Mix into a coarse batter.
- Crush juniper berries and rosemary with a mortar and pestle or with a spice mill or coffee grinder until powdered. Add the juniper berries, rosemary, salt, and pepper, egg, and sour cream into the food processor. Mix a few seconds to combine.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 1 hour, covered with aluminum foil. Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Use a spatula to remove the pâté from the loaf pan and place it on a serving dish. Serve cooled to room temperature or wrap tightly and refrigerate before serving.
- Slice the pâté and serve with pickled red onions and cranberries as well as dill pickles if desired.
Recommended special equipment
- Food processor
- Pestle and mortar
If you’re serving this pâté for the holidays, it’s easy to prepare in advance, and leftovers should keep for up to 4-5 days when refrigerated. The pâté should also freeze well to enjoy later. Simply remove from the freezer and let thaw in the refrigerator before enjoying.
For a healthy breakfast, add some warmed pâté to a plate of scrambled or boiled eggs.