Low-carb beef stroganoff
Creamy beef and blue cheese come together into a dish that will leave you humming with joy. By the time you mop up the last of the sauce and zucchini fettuccine, you’ll want to invite friends over for an encore the next night. Don’t just take our word for it though. Send out some invites, and watch the crowd pour in!
- 15 oz. 450 g ground beef
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1 yellow onionyellow onions
- 8 oz. 225 g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 8 oz. 225 g blue cheese
- 1½ cups 350 ml sour cream
- 2 2 zucchini
- 1 oz. 30 g olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper
- Peel the onion and chop finely.
- Melt the butter in a pot on medium heat, and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add the ground beef and fry for a few minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Slice or dice the mushrooms, and add to the ground beef. Sauté for a few minutes more, or until lightly brown.
- Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Crumble the cheese. Add and stir.
- Add sour cream and bring to a light boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Estimate one medium-sized zucchini per person.
- Split the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the seeds with a spoon and slice the halves very thinly, lengthwise (julienne) with a potato peeler, or use a spiralizer to make zoodles.
- Toss the zucchini in a hot sauce of your choice and serve immediately.
- If you aren’t serving your zucchini with a hot sauce then boil half a gallon (a couple of liters) of salted water in a large pot and parboil the zucchini slices for a minute.
- Drain the water and add olive oil or a knob of butter. Salt and pepper to taste and stir.
Switch it up a little! Shredded chicken makes a great substitute for ground beef.