Air fryer Moroccan chicken with vegetables
- 2 lbs 900 g boneless chicken thighs
- ½ lb 220 g , seeded and cut into large slices, seeded and cut into large slices
- 3 oz. (½ cup) 85 g (130 ml) shallot, peeled and halvedshallots, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or harissa paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz. 85 g cucumber, grated
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped or ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup (61⁄3 oz.) 240 ml (180 g) Greek yogurt (4% fat)
Chicken and vegetables
- Preheat air fryer to 380°F (190°C).
- Put chicken and veggies into a large mixing bowl. Add the paprika, cumin, salt, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cayenne, and olive oil. Coat the chicken and veggies very well. Set aside and allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes, up to 3-4 hours.
- Add the chicken and veggies to the preheated air fryer and cook for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway, or until the chicken and veggies are slightly charred and chicken is cooked through. If your air fryer is small, you may have to cook them in 2-3 batches.
- While the chicken is cooking, put the grated cucumber in a strainer and sprinkle salt on top. Mix well and let the liquid drain for 5 minutes. Wrap cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Place the drained cucumber in a bowl with the garlic, oil, and fresh mint.
- Stir in the yogurt and add black pepper and salt to taste.
- Let the sauce sit in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes for the flavors to develop. It will keep for about 3 days in the fridge.
- Serve the chicken and veggies with a large dollop of Tzatziki on top.
Sensitive to FODMAPs?
The chicken and spices in this recipe are FODMAP diet-friendly. Swap the onions and peppers for your favorite low FODMAP vegetables and skip the Tzatziki.
Get creative with your veggies!
You can add asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes or olives.
Conventional oven instructions
Follow the steps above, but increase your oven temperature to 400°F (200°C). Check the chicken and veggies halfway through.
This dish is great for meal prep. Cook a double batch and you have lunch for the week!
Can I use chicken breasts?
Yes, you can, but be careful not to overcook. Because the air fryer uses high heat and very little fat, low-fat chicken breasts can dry out easily.
Recommended special equipment
Air Fryer (5qt recommended size, but you can use smaller and cook in batches)