Low-carb zucchini pizza casserole
- ¾ lb 325 g , shredded
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- 4 oz. (½ cup) 110 g (110 ml) cream cheese
- 1 cup (2¾ oz.) 240 ml (80 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (220 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb 450 g ground fresh sausage
- 10 oz. 280 g bacon, chopped
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) , finely diced, finely diced
- ½ cup 120 ml unsweetened marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the shredded zucchini on a towel, and squeeze the excess moisture out.
- Combine zucchini, eggs, cream cheese, parmesan, and half the mozzarella in a bowl. Pour into greased 9 x 13" (23 x 33 cm) casserole pan or casserole dish lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While zucchini mixture bakes, cook sausage and bacon with onion in a frying pan until meat is browned.
- Spread the marinara sauce over the cooked zucchini crust, then distribute evenly the sausage and bacon mixture. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake another 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.
Recommended special equipment
- Food processor or box grater
The crust layer can be baked ahead and frozen, then topped later for a quick and easy meal. Or make the entire pizza casserole in advance, freeze it, and re-warm for a super fast meal on a busy night.
Read the labels carefully on the bottled marinara sauce as unwanted sugars can sneak in. However, a number of companies are recognizing the growing demand for products without sugar. Look for simple labels with tomatoes, garlic, basil and spices.