Low carb zucchini pizza casserole
- ¾ lb 325 g zucchini, shredded
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- 4 oz. (½ cup) 110 g (110 ml) cream cheese
- 1 cup (2¾ oz.) 240 ml (80 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (220 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb 450 g ground fresh sausage
- 10 oz. 280 g bacon, chopped
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) yellow onion, finely dicedyellow onions, finely diced
- ½ cup 120 ml unsweetened marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the shredded zucchini on a towel, and squeeze the excess moisture out.
- Combine zucchini, eggs, cream cheese, parmesan, and half the mozzarella in a bowl. Pour into greased 9 x 13" (23 x 33 cm) casserole pan or casserole dish lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While zucchini mixture bakes, cook sausage and bacon with onion in a frying pan until meat is browned.
- Spread the marinara sauce over the cooked zucchini crust, then distribute the sausage and bacon mixture evenly. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake another 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.
The crust layer can be baked ahead and frozen, then topped later for a quick and easy meal. Or make the entire pizza casserole in advance, freeze it, and re-warm for a super-fast dinner on a busy night.
Read the labels carefully on the bottled marinara sauce, as unwanted sugars can sneak in easily.
Recommended special equipment
Food processor or box grater.
Yes, it is in the Nutrition+ tab under the list of ingredients.
Yes, minced pork would work well for this.
A medium zucchini is approximately 8" and weighs about 5 ounces.
Great comfort food recipe. Thank you.