Keto tuna melt
Tuna lovers, come hither! This is a great way to enjoy a classic sandwich with a keto and higher-satiety spin. First, a quick and easy protein bread comes into play. Then, it’s topped with a perfectly seasoned tuna salad, again topped with a slice of tomato and cheese. The whole thing is baked to melty goodness for another 5 minutes to make a prize-winning sandwich. We are hooked!
- 4 4 large egglarge eggs
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup (1 oz.) 60 ml (28 g) almond flour
- ¼ cup (¾ oz.) 60 ml (25 g) whey protein isolate (unflavored) or pea protein powder (unflavored)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 8 oz. 230 g tuna in water, drained
- ¼ cup 60 ml mayonnaise
- 4 oz. (1¼ cups) 110 g (260 ml) celery stalk, finely choppedcelery stalks, finely chopped
- 2½ oz. (½ cup) 70 g (120 ml) pickle, finely choppedpickles, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp onion powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) tomato, slicedtomatoes, sliced
- 4 4 slices cheddar cheese
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking dish, about 6 x 8 inches (15 x 20 cm) with parchment paper.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the cream cheese and melted butter. Whisk until as smooth as possible.
- Add the almond flour, whey protein isolate, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Insert a toothpick or sharp knife into the middle of the bread to check for doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean, it's done.
- Let cool and slice the bread into squares and then slice each bread in half horizontally. You will need two squares per serving.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Combine the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, pickles, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Place half of the slices of protein bread on a baking sheet. Top with the tuna mixture, sliced tomatoes, cheese, and the other halves of bread. Press together gently.
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and the bread is golden.
We have not tested this recipe with egg white protein powder but it does work well as a substitute in most other recipes.
You can always try this with our nut-free bread! https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/nut-free-keto-bread