Keto taco salad with salsa dressing and guacamole
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1¾ lbs 800 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp taco seasoning (add more, plus salt, if needed)
- ¾ cup 180 ml water
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise
- ¼ cup 60 ml sugar-free salsa
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 5 oz. (4 cups) 140 g (900 ml) lettuce, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. 140 g cucumber, diced
- 4 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 110 g (150 ml) tomato, dicedtomatoes, diced
- 2 oz. (52⁄3 tbsp) 55 g (80 ml) red onion, thinly sliced wedgesred onions, thinly sliced wedges
- ½ cup (2 oz.) 120 ml (55 g) Mexican cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp
- 1 1 lime, wedgeslimes, wedges (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat, and use a spatula to break it up. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the meat, and stir until combined. Add the water and increase the temperature to high, bringing the mixture to a boil. Reduce temperature to medium-low, and let simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Cover, and keep warm over low heat. Meanwhile, prepare the guacamole.
- Peel the avocados and place into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the garlic, lime juice, cilantro, red chili pepper, salt, and pepper. Mash with a fork until the consistency is chunky or smooth, based on your preference. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, salsa, salt, and pepper. Mix together until combined. Set aside.
- Layer the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl, or into individual salad bowls.
- For serving, top the salad with the taco meat, cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges. Add a dollop of guacamole, and drizzle the creamy salsa dressing over the taco salad.
When buying taco seasoning and salsa, read through the ingredient labels to ensure that the brands are sugar-free.