Keto pierogis filled with bacon and mushroom
Homemade pierogis or hot pockets are a real treat. Here with lots of delicious mushrooms, bacon, spinach and cheese but you can fill them with just about anything you like.
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1 shallot, finely choppedshallots, finely chopped
- 3 oz. 90 g mushrooms
- 5 oz. 150 g bacon
- 2 oz. 60 g fresh spinach
- 2 oz. 60 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g cream cheese
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp pepper
- Start with the filling. Sauté shallot, garlic, bacon, mushrooms and spinach in butter until they have turned a nice color. Salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat and add cream cheese and parmesan cheese. Stir and let simmer for another minute. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and cheese together in a pan on low heat. Stir thoroughly for a smooth batter. Remove from the heat.
- Crack the egg into the mixture and keep stiring. Add the dry ingredients and mix into a firm dough.
- Divide the dough into four balls and use a rolling pin to flatten them into four round pieces, about ⅕ inch (½ cm) thin and 7 inches (18 cm) in diameter.
- Apply a generous amount of filling on each piece of dough, but only on one half of each piece.
- Fold and seal the edges with a fork or your fingers.
- Brush with a beaten egg and bake for 20 minutes until the pierogis turn golden. Serve with a salad and dressing.