Smoked salmon and kohlrabi gratin
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Boil kohlrabi in lightly salted water for 10-15 minutes or until the slices are soft. Roll the kohlrabi in a dish cloth to squeeze any excess water before layering.
- Whisk together eggs and cream, season with salt and pepper. Place kohlrabi, onion, salmon and half of the egg mixture in four layers in a well-greased oven-proof pan. Finish with a layer of kohlrabi and pour over the rest of the egg mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes or until the egg mixture has set and the gratin has a nice golden color.
- Melt butter on medium heat in a skillet until amber-colored.
- Serve gratin with browned butter and pea sprouts.
Instead of kohlrabi you can also use daikon, turnip or rutabaga.
Feel free to prepare the gratin the day before serving. It will have a better consistency and the flavors will be more intense. Heat on low heat in the oven (preferably under aluminium foil) or in the microwave.