Dessert, smessert. What you really want after a big holiday meal, is a cup of this creamy, mild, stunningly scented eggnog loaded with hints of vanilla and orange. Did we mention that it’s low carb? Oh, yes.
- 2 2 egg yolkegg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon honey
- ¼ tablespoon ¼ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1 orange, juice and zestoranges, juice and zest
- 4 tablespoons 4 tablespoons brandy or other dark liquor i.e. rum or bourbon (optional)
- 1 cup 225 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Whisk egg yolks, honey and vanilla powder until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add some orange zest. A fourth of an orange is enough for a distinct orange flavor.
- Add four tablespoons orange juice and/or liquor. Mix well.
- Whisk the cream and carefully stir down into the egg batter.
- Pour into glasses and let cool for 15 minutes so the eggnog has time to develop taste and consistency.
- Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg on top and serve.
It’s difficult to whisk egg yolks fluffy without sweetening, which is why there a little bit of honey in this recipe.