Low-carb chocolate cake
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil, for greasing the pan
- 9 oz. 260 g dark chocolate with a minimum of 70% cocoa solids
- 5 oz. 140 g butter
- 5 5 eggeggs
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Use a springform pan, maximum 9 inches (20-22 cm) in diameter. Grease the form with butter or coconut oil and fasten a piece of round parchment paper to the bottom.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and dice the butter. Melt together using a double boiler or the microwave oven. Be careful — chocolate burns easily so stir often. Once melted, stir until smooth and let the mix cool just a little.
- Separate the eggs and put the yolks and whites in separate bowls. Add salt to the egg whites and beat with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Add vanilla to the egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate and butter into the egg yolks and mix well. Fold in the egg whites. Keep folding just until you can't see any white streaks from the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick; it should come out with moist crumbs, not runny batter. Pans that are smaller in diameter may require a longer baking time while pans wider in diameter will finish baking in less time. Be sure to use the toothpick method to check for doneness in the center.
Serve at room temperature or even a little warmer. And don't forget a little whipped heavy cream (sour cream is delicious, too) and a few berries if you like!