Kristie’s chicken Philly cheesesteak casserole
The classic Philly cheesesteak is made with beef, and this keto casserole can be made with either chicken or beef. This dish will quickly become a household favorite. Just a bite or two and you will quickly see why.
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter
- 2 lbs 900 g boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 4 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 110 g (160 ml) yellow onion, slicedyellow onions, sliced
- 6 oz. (11⁄5 cups) 170 g (270 ml) green bell pepper, slicedgreen bell peppers, sliced
- 8 oz. (3¼ cups) 230 g (800 ml) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 8 oz. (1 cup) 230 g (240 ml) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 oz. (2½ cups) 350 g (650 ml) provolone cheese, sliced
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, brown the chicken in butter.
- When the meat is cooked, add onions, pepper, mushrooms, half of the garlic, salt, pepper, and half of the Italian seasoning. Continue cooking until vegetables are just tender, but not soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, the rest of the garlic, the rest of the Italian seasoning, Worcestershire, and cheddar cheese. Add the meat mixture and combine.
- Spoon into a 9” by 13” (23x33) glass baking dish and top with the slices of provolone cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and slightly browned.
This casserole can be put together ahead of time and then baked just before serving. Leftovers can also be frozen for future meals.
Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to let us know.
Hi I'm from the Philly area. I grow up here eating cheese steaks and this is not a cheese steak recipe. We do not put bell peppers on are steak sandwiches and mushrooms are an extra only some people like. Cream cheese I've never heard of using at all. I've seen some other states say we put grave on them this is also a misconception. Chicken cheese steaks are good so we are going to try this recipe. I will not judge it as a true chicken/steak sandwich but as an alternative to the real thing.
This recipe does have universal appeal!
Serving size will depend on how much the dish reduces in volume as you prep the individual ingredients and as the casserole bakes down. The number of servings the dish makes is more accurate than trying to provide a serving size by weight or volume.
Beef mince is ok to use in this one, about 115 grams for one serving.
Thank you for letting us know, it's always a treat when families love our recipes.
All of our recipes can be scaled to make fewer or more servings. The default for this recipe is 8 servings. There is a drop down menu above the list of the ingredients. When scaling from 8 to 2 or 12 to 2, sometimes the quantity of ingredients that results can be confusing so you can round up or down to numbers that make sense. You can also portion into individual servings and freeze to enjoy later.
I need to consume 1200 calories per day to reduce my weight .
I am sedentary ,work with a laptop and I would be consuming 1700 calories a day if i follow your plan.
I think i need to reconsider my options.
Hi, Mohan! We don't recommend counting calories. Instead, we recommend keeping carbs very low and focusing on eating to hunger. Here's more info! https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/calories
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed this recipe.
So glad you enjoyed it!