Seared salmon with veggies and 5-minute hollandaise
- 1½ lbs 650 g salmon, boneless filletsalmon, boneless fillets
- 1 lb 450 g green asparagus, trimmed
- 1¼ lbs 550 g , sliced, sliced
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 5 oz. 140 g butter, melted
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1 1 lemon, slicedlemons, sliced
- Rinse and trim the asparagus.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Fry for about 8 minutes per side; time will vary depending on the filet thickness. When you turn the salmon, add the asparagus to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the asparagus every now and then. Lower the heat towards the end.
5 minute hollandaise sauce
- Crack the egg into a high and narrow mixing bowl or large glass measuring cup or beaker.
- Melt the butter in a pourable container, either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- While using an immersion blender in one hand, with the other hand slowly pour the melted butter into the egg in the mixing bowl. Pour the butter in a thin steady stream while you keep blending. Note that the lowest layers is supposed to turn white and creamy before you bring up the blender to the next layer. The hollandaise is ready when it's thick and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice and add salt to taste.
- Serve the salmon with the creamy hollandaise sauce, sliced bell peppers and tender asparagus. Garnish with a slice of lemon for some extra flavor and color.
If the salmon fillet has skin and you want it to be crispy, start cooking with the skin side down.
You can also fry the sliced bell peppers together with the asparagus if you prefer a complete warm meal.
Rather than cutting the asparagus ends with a knife, a great way to prepare asparagus is to hold the stock in two hands and break. The asparagus will naturally break where any woodiness begins. Save the woody pieces of stalks in the freezer and add to soup stocks or vegetable broths for extra flavor.
Recommended special equipment
- Immersion blender