Keto lox sandwich
- 1 tsp 1 tsp soft butter
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp whey protein isolate (unflavored) or pea protein powder (unflavored)
- ½ tsp ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 oz. 28 g cucumber, sliced
- 3 oz. 85 g smoked salmon
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red onion, thinly slicedred onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp capers (optional)
- ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Grease a flat-bottomed mug with butter.
- Crack in the egg and cream cheese. Combine with a fork or tiny whisk until as smooth as possible.
- Add the almond flour, whey protein isolate, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Microwave on medium-high (approximately 700 watts) for 2 minutes. Check if the bread is done in the middle — if not, microwave for another 15-30 seconds.
- Let cool for a minute and remove from the mug. For a crunchier texture, slice the bread in half and toast it.
- Spread cream cheese on both halves and top with cucumber, smoked salmon, thinly sliced red onion, and capers. Finish it off with freshly ground black pepper. Serve it open-faced or sandwich style.
Instructions for baking in the oven
If you're making more than one batch of bread, you might find it easier to use the oven method.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and grease a 4.5-inch (10 cm) wide, oven-proof mug. You can also use large cupcake liners, in which case there's no need to grease them. Instead, add the butter (melted) to the batter.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Add the melted butter, egg and cream cheese, whisking until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared mug(s) or cupcake liner(s).
Bake for 10-15 minutes. Insert a toothpick or sharp knife into the middle of the bread. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done!
Let cool and remove the bread from the mug(s) or cupcake liner(s). Slice in half and toast for the best texture and taste.