Keto coconut ice cream
- 3 cups 700 ml or , for dairy-free ice cream
- 3 oz. 85 g sweetener, allulose or xylitol
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt flakes
- 6 6 large egg, room temperaturelarge eggs, room temperature
- 1¾ oz. (32⁄3 tbsp) 50 g (55 ml) coconut butter
- 2 tsp 2 tsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1½ tbsp 1½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (1½ oz.) 120 ml (45 g) roasted unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- Add the cream, sweetener, and salt to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer until the sweetener dissolves. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture into the eggs while constantly whisking.
- Return the custard mixture to the pan and place it over medium heat. Whisk in the coconut butter, gelatin, and vanilla. Keep whisking intermittently until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour into a thin layer in a large zip lock bag or shallow tray. Freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C) and toast the coconut for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Break or cut the ice cream into small chunks and pulse in a food processor or blender until smooth. Fold the toasted coconut through and serve
Fresh free-range eggs at room temperature are best for this recipe, as they will not impart an “eggy” flavor to the ice cream. Both the egg yolk and egg white are used in this ice cream. For creamier ice cream, use the egg yolks only.
Diet Doctor’s recipe team has slightly adjusted this recipe to follow our guidelines. You’ll find the original recipe at Megan Ellam's Mad Creations Hub.