Italian keto turkey meatballs with zoodles
It's hard to beat these moist, homemade turkey meatballs married with a rustic tomato sauce of roasted garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Served on top of "al dente" zucchini pasta, it's healthy comfort food at its best.
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground turkey or ground beef
- ¼ cup 60 ml mayonnaise
- ¾ tsp ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup 120 ml tomato sauce
- 1 cup 240 ml water
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp finely chopped, sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Zoodles and garnish
- 1½ lbs 650 g zucchini, spiralized
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- ½ cup (11⁄3 oz.) 120 ml (40 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (1⁄3 oz.) 60 ml (11 g) fresh basil, chopped
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, mayo, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Gently mix together with your hands, or a wooden spoon.
- Lightly moisten hands with water, and form the meat mixture into 1" (3 cm) meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place the meatballs in the pan, evenly spaced out, and fry for about 2-3 minutes per side until browned on all sides (this can be done in batches if needed). Remove the meatballs from the pan with a slotted spoon, set aside, and keep warm. Leave the fat and drippings in the pan, and heat over medium temperature.
- Add the garlic to the pan, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Then add the tomato sauce ingredients and whisk them together. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the temperature to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the meatballs, stir to coat, and simmer uncovered for 2-3 more minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the zoodles in the boiling water for just one minute, and then drain in a colander. Transfer the zoodles to a serving platter, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the meatballs and tomato sauce over a bed of zoodles. Garnish with the shredded parmesan cheese and fresh, chopped basil.
Sorry to change it so much but I'm from an Italian family.