High protein ham & cheddar keto Dutch baby
- 2⁄3 cup 160 ml heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 8 8 large egg, room temperaturelarge eggs, room temperature
- 2 oz. (4 tbsp) 55 g (55 ml) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp unflavored whey protein isolate (unflavored)
- 1 tsp 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 8 oz. 230 g smoked deli ham, chopped
- ¾ cup (3 oz.) 180 ml (85 g) cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp 1 tsp unsalted butter, for the pan
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried chives or fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the cream, eggs, cream cheese, whey protein isolate, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Blend for at least a minute to aerate the mixture. Set aside.
- Put the butter in a 10" (25 cm) oven-proof skillet and place the skillet in the oven. When the butter begins to sizzle, remove the pan from the oven and pour the batter into the center of the hot skillet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the Dutch baby is puffy and browned. The center should be just set. The Dutch baby is likely to rise in a lopsided fashion and will deflate somewhat as it cools.
- As soon as the Dutch baby is removed from the oven, top with the chopped ham and shredded cheddar cheese. Serve hot or cold. Garnish with fresh herbs such as chives, thyme, or parsley.
When warm, the texture of this dish is light, when cold it is more dense, like a custard. If you aren’t familiar with a Dutch Baby, be prepared for it to bake up puffy and lopsided, and then to deflate just out of the oven.
For best results, be sure to let all ingredients come to room temperature before placing them in the blender.
The whey protein isolate should be okay to omit. It will just lower the protein level per serving. I hope that helps!
Yes, the 10" skillet is for 4 servings.
What you will discover is that when the number of servings is adjusted to something other than the default number, a warning appears at the top of the recipe. For example when I change this recipe to 2 servings, this is what appears:
Instructions are for 4 servings. Please modify as needed.
(1) Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Hope that helps.