Low carb fried kale and broccoli salad
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 4 4 large egglarge eggs
- water, ice
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 2 garlic clove, thinly slicedgarlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter, for frying (optional)
- 8 oz. (2½ cups) 230 g (600 ml) broccoli, florets
- 4 oz. 110 g kale, chopped
- 2 (1 oz.) 2 (30 g) , chopped, chopped
- 1 (7 oz.) 1 (200 g) avocado, pitted, and flesh slicedavocados, pitted, and flesh sliced
- salt or pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch 1 pinch chili flakes
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan, and fill with water, about 1" (2.5 cm) higher than the eggs. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, remove from heat, and leave in water to cook, based on preference: 10-12 minutes (hard-boiled), or 6-8 minutes (medium-boiled), or 5-6 minutes (soft-boiled). Meanwhile, set aside a bowl filled with ice-cold water.
- Using a slotted spoon, place eggs in the ice water bath for 3-5 minutes before peeling. Peel under running water and then slice into halves or quarters. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and fry until golden. Remove the garlic from the pan, and place on a paper towel to crisp. Save the garlic-infused oil in the pan.
- Increase the temperature to medium-high, add the butter (if using), and stir to combine with the olive oil. Add the broccoli, kale, and scallions. Using tongs, toss to coat and fry for about 5 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Season the warm kale and broccoli salad with salt and pepper. Plate with the eggs, avocado, and mustard mayonnaise.
- Finish the dish with a pinch of red chili flakes, and fried garlic slices for extra flavor and crunch.
Baby kale or spinach makes the greens extra tender; buy them pre-washed to save on prep-time.