Crispy Cuban roast pork (Lechon asado)
- 4½ lbs 2 kg boneless pork shoulder
- 4 tsp 4 tsp fine salt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh oregano (5 sprigs)
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) large red onion, dicedlarge red onions, diced
- 4 4 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1 1 Sevilla orange, juicedSevilla oranges, juiced
- 2 2 lemon, juicedlemons, juiced
- ¼ cup 60 ml olive oil
- Rub the salt into the pork shoulder and place in a large bowl.
- Combine the rest of the marinade ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Pour this all over the pork and massage into the meat. Cover and set to marinate in the fridge for at least eight hours, turning over halfway during the marinade time.
- Before cooking, let the pork sit at room temperature for an hour.
- Place in the pressure cooker, fat side up. Pour the marinade all around it.
- Cook on high for 40 minutes. If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours.
- When it is done cooking in the appliance, pre-heat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place the pork shoulder fat side up on a sheet pan and roast for 30 minutes until it is golden and crisp all over.
- While the pork crisps in the oven, reduce the fluid left behind in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes.
- Shred the pork shoulder into large chunks and pour the reduced marinade all over.
Perfect over Cauliflower rice!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 6 days. To reheat, sauté shredded meat in a skillet for 6 minutes.