Keto bacon cheddar cornbread waffles with egg and bacon
- ¼ cup (¾ oz.) 60 ml (25 g) coconut flour
- 1⁄3 cup (1¼ oz.) 80 ml (35 g) oat fiber
- 1⁄3 cup (11⁄5 oz.) 80 ml (33 g) unflavored whey protein isolate (unflavored)
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 4 oz. 110 g butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml refined coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- 4 4 large egglarge eggs
- ½ tsp ½ tsp corn extract (optional)
- ½ cup (2 oz.) 120 ml (55 g) cheddar cheese
- 2 (1 oz.) 2 (30 g) scallion, choppedscallions, chopped
- 4 oz. 110 g cooked bacon, chopped
- Prepare waffle iron as manufacturer directs.
- Combine all dry ingredients. Add the melted butter, coconut oil, eggs, and water. Beat with a hand mixer. Stir in the corn extract, cheese, scallions, and bacon by hand.
- Scoop the mixture into the waffle iron being careful not to overfill the wells. Cook until the waffles are browned and slightly crisp. Serve warm.
Whey protein isolate has casein and lactose removed and is not the same as whey protein, which can be highly insulinogenic. Please check the ingredients on whey protein isolate to make sure there are no added sweeteners. Some good zero carb brands include Isopure, Jay Robb, or Hoosier Farms.
Oat fiber is the pure insoluble fiber from the outer husk of the oat. Because it is not digestible, it does not impact blood glucose. Milder tasting brands that are gluten-free are often preferable and include Trim Healthy Mama or LifeSource.
Besides breakfast, these waffles are great for brunch, lunch, or dinner. Try serving them with pulled pork, pork belly, beef brisket, or even as a side with a hearty soup.
Leftovers can be stored for up to four days. These also freeze well and can be warmed in a toaster, warm skillet, or in the oven at 350°F (175°C).
What does the corn extract do for this recipe?
Miriam, you can look on Amazon. There are several brand options.
Egg white protein powder can be a viable option in most cases. This specific recipe has not been tested with it though.
No, inulin does not give the same properties as oat fiber. It's well worth getting oat fiber. Corn extract gives corn flavor to cornbread.
There isn't a great substitute for the coconut flour since the recipe already includes the oat fiber.
Your substitutions sound fantastic!