Spicy fish with butter-fried tomatoes and cashew sauce
- 3 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 85 g (150 ml) cashew nuts
- ¼ cup 60 ml light olive oil
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 oz. 55 g butter or olive oil
- 9 oz. (2½ cups) 260 g (600 ml) , chopped in 1/2" (1 1/2 cm) pieces, chopped in 1/2" (1 1/2 cm) pieces
- ¾ lb 325 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup (¼ oz.) 120 ml (8 g) , chopped (optional)
- 1¾ lbs 800 g
- 1 tsp 1 tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper
- Start by soaking the cashews in room temperature water for at least 1 hour, 2-3 hours if possible. Add the nuts to a blender or food processor along with the other sauce ingredients. Process until smooth. If you want a thinner texture, add a little water.
- In a large frying pan, fry the onions in half of the butter over medium heat for 3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add tomatoes and a little salt and pepper to taste. Fry until the tomatoes begin to soften.
- Stir in the finely chopped cilantro or any other fresh or dried herbs. Set aside in a bowl or a plate, covered to keep warm.
- Wipe the fish dry. Mix together the spices and season the fish. In the same pan, fry the fish in the remaining butter or oil over medium heat for a few minutes on each side until the fish flakes easily with a fork or reaches about 120° F (50° C) internal temperature.
In this recipe, you can use any kind of white fish or even salmon. For a completely dairy-free meal, use olive oil for frying.
If you want to substitute vegetables, our guide to low-carb vegetables can be helpful.
You can make the sauce with other nuts as well or with a mix of different nuts. Our guide to low-carb nuts gives you information on how many carbs are in the most common varieties.
You can store the cashew sauce for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator or freeze it for up to a couple of months. The dish itself keeps for 2-3 days in the fridge and the fish and vegetables can be reheated in the microwave.