Simple keto breakfast with fried eggs
Fried eggs are keto simplicity at its best! It's a super quick and satisfying breakfast that will keep your hunger at bay for hours. You can also fry the spinach with the eggs, and add some extra veggies or bacon, for a more filling meal.
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 oz. (1 cup) 28 g (220 ml) baby spinach
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup 240 ml coffee or tea
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Heat butter or oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Crack your eggs straight into the pan. For eggs sunny side up – leave the eggs to fry on one side. For eggs cooked over easy – flip the eggs over after a few minutes and cook for another minute. For harder yolks, just leave cooking for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with baby spinach, a dollop of mayonnaise, and a cup of freshly brewed black coffee or a cup of tea.
The mayo can be used as a dressing or dip for the spinach, so you can drizzle either oil over the spinach as a dressing if you prefer. Use enough to fill you up but you don't want to drown the greens.
As long as it's actual butter, not margarine, you can use any brand of butter you choose.
We recommend eating to hunger. If a smaller meals satisfies your hunger, then that's totally acceptable!
Yes, definitely! The method of cooking is not important when it comes to keto/low carb!
It is not butter. Here is our guide to vegetable oils to help inform you on the topic https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetable-oils
Heavy cream is a better option as it is lower carb and higher fat.
Oh dear, that is a good deal of spinach, isn't it? There is a glitch in our converter that translated the measurement to ml rather than grams. The correct conversion would be about 12-15 grams. Also, there is very little protein in spinach. The protein in this dish is coming from the eggs. I'll let our team know about this issue.
Stevia is fine to have in your coffee. Here's our sweetener guide that should be helpful! https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners
It's also fine to add some heavy cream to your coffee. Most people stick with a tablespoon or two. Just keep in mind to add the carbs to your day, as each tablespoon is about half a carb.
Hi, Michelle! Yes, you could sub the mayo for any other fatty side you like. Olives or cheese would work or even avocado!
Just keep in mind that substitutions will affect the carb count. Be sure to check serving sizes.
Can I use barley bread with the servings
We recommend avoiding all grains.
Here's our Ingredients to Avoid list that should be helpful for you! https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ingredients-to-avoid