Low-carb okra with Mexican chorizo
- 20 oz. 550 g fresh okra
- 1 lb 450 g chorizo, casings removed
- 3 3 garlic clove, crushedgarlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1 red onion, dicedred onions, diced
- 1 1 red bell pepper, cut into stripsred bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 1 green bell pepper, cut into stripsgreen bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 1 tomato, dicedtomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 1 lime, juicelimes, juice
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp ½ tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1⁄3 oz. 10 g fresh cilantro, leaves
- Cut the okra into 1″ (2.5 cm) pieces, discarding the ends. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the chorizo over medium heat, cook until browned (about 3 minutes), stirring to break into chunks the size of small meatballs.
- Stir in okra, garlic, onion, bell peppers, tomato, and chili flakes. Cook stirring until the onions start to become translucent.
- Lower the heat, add lime juice, cover and simmer until the okra is fork-tender (12 -15 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the cilantro.
This recipe goes great with cauliflower rice and avocado.
Feel free to serve sour cream and tomato salsa on the side.
You may not need to add salt to this recipe as the chorizo may be salty enough. But this may be different depending on the brand you use.