Low carb garlic and sesame tofu bowl
Are you looking for a savory and flavorful vegan meal? Then look no further. This little low carb beauty is packed with umami goodness and will have you coming back for more. Sweet yet savory, plus packed with spice and all things nice.
- 3 3 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup 60 ml tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp unsweetened rice vinegar
Tofu and bok choy
- 14 oz. 400 g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 8 oz. 230 g bok choy, halved and rinsed
- 1 tsp 1 tsp toasted sesame oil, for drizzling
- 2 tsp 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 oz. (9 tbsp) 55 g (130 ml) scallion, finely chopped at an anglescallions, finely chopped at an angle
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili flakes (optional)
- 1 1 lime, wedgeslimes, wedges (optional)
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Whisk the marinade ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until well combined.
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces, and then press between paper towels to remove any additional moisture. Add the tofu to the marinade and toss to coat. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight to let the flavors develop.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, use a slotted spoon to remove the tofu from the marinade (reserve the marinade), and place in the pan. Cook until crispy on all sides, approx 10 minutes, and then add the reserved marinade to the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens and coats the tofu. While the tofu cooks bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Blanch the bok choy halves by adding them to the boiling water for 3 minutes, and then transfer them to an ice bath. Strain, prior to serving.
- To serve, place the bok choy and tofu side by side in bowls. Garnish the bok choy with drizzled sesame oil, sesame seeds, scallions, and chili flakes. Season with lime, salt, and pepper to taste.
Tofu can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for taking the time to let us know.
Soy sauce or liquid aminos may work well instead.