Low carb Swedish cabbage bake
- 3 oz. 85 g butter
- 2 lbs 900 g green cabbage, roughly shredded
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground pork or any other minced meat
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, choppedyellow onions, chopped
- ½ lb (1 cup) 220 g (250 ml) cottage cheese, drained
- ½ tsp ½ tsp allspice berries, ground
- 2⁄3 cup 160 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 11⁄3 cups 325 ml heavy whipping cream and the cooking juices
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup 180 ml lingonberries or frozen cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large frying pan, fry the shredded cabbage in butter until golden while stirring continuously.
- Combine the ground pork, onion, cottage cheese, allspice and whipping cream in a bowl. Add one third of the cooked shredded cabbage into this meat mixture and stir. Then distribute the mixture evenly in an ovenproof dish. Top with the rest of the cabbage and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently pour some of the cooking juices into a saucepan to make the gravy. Add the 1 1/3 cup whipping cream and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Simmer and stir for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. If you would like a thicker sauce, stir in a few tablespoons of cream cheese.
- Serve the cabbage bake with the gravy on the side and garnish with lingonberries or frozen cranberries.
A medium-sized cabbage is about 2 to 2.5 pounds. You can weigh the cabbage in the store if you like, but approximate weights in this dish are just fine.
Feel free to substitute the ground pork for your favorite ground meat, or use a "meatloaf" mix of pork and beef often found pre-wrapped in the meat aisle.
Great! So glad you enjoyed it!
That's correct! Our team will adjust the recipe. Thanks for letting us know!