Keto skillet lasagna
- 10 oz. 280 g green cabbage, shredded
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs 900 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup (9 oz.) 240 ml (250 g) crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup 180 ml heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz. (6 tbsp) 85 g (90 ml) cream cheese
- 1 1 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- salt and ground black pepper
- 5 oz. (1¼ cups) 140 g (290 ml) shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh basil as garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Shred the cabbage by cutting the cabbage head in half and slicing it with a sharp knife into thin cabbage noodles.
- Heat a large frying pan or ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and a splash of water. Toss it around with a tong and cook until the cabbage is soft. Remove from the pan and drain.
- Return the same pan to the stove and add the olive oil. When hot, add garlic and onion. Fry until it starts to get soft and translucent.
- Add the ground meat to the pan. Fry while breaking the meat up using a spatula. Season with salt, ground black pepper, basil, and oregano. Add the crushed tomatoes and the cooked cabbage when the meat starts to get brown. Give it a good mix and let it simmer for a couple of minutes while you prepare the cheese sauce.
- Mix the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour it on top of the meat and cabbage mixture. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese has a golden color.
- Let it cool a bit before serving. Garnish with fresh basil.
If you don't have an ovenproof skillet or frying pan, you can transfer the meat and cabbage mixture to a baking dish and top with the sauce and cheese before baking it in the oven.
If you want a more traditional lasagna, you can boil whole cabbage leaves and use them instead of pasta—layering the cabbage, meat mixture, and cream sauce.
Serve with a crisp green salad.
Love the idea of adding some heat! So glad you enjoyed it!
Maybe add spicy Italian sausage.
And some Italian cheeses.
Yes, I will make it again.