Keto cornbread stuffing
- ¼ cup 60 ml (25 g)
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml (35 g) oat fiber
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml (30 g) whey protein isolate
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp (7 g) baking powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 4 oz. 110 g butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml bacon fat or refined coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- 4 4 eggeggs
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp corn extract (optional)
- 1 lb 450 g fresh sausage
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml finely chopped finely chopped
- 1 cup 225 ml chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup 125 ml finely chopped celery stalkfinely chopped celery stalks
- 1 1 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 2 eggeggs
- ½ cup 125 ml chicken broth
- ¼ cup 60 ml
- 3 cups 700 ml cornbread form recipe above
- 1 oz. 30 g roasted and chopped pecans
Baking the cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place a greased 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet in the oven to heat while you make the cornbread.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the melted butter, bacon fat, eggs, and water. Beat with a hand mixer. Stir in the corn extract.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into the hot cast iron skillet and bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- If you're making the rest of the stuffing right away you don't need to turn the oven off, just remove the bread and set that aside to cool a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175°C) if it's not already warm from baking the bread.
- Butter a 9 by 13-inch (23 by 33 cm) oven-safe baking dish.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet.
- When the sausage is browned, add the onion, mushrooms, celery, and garlic.
- As it all browns, add the butter, sage, salt, and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, chicken broth, and heavy cream.
- Toss together the cooled sausage mixture, the egg mixture, and the cornbread crumbs.
- Spread into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned.
Whey protein isolate has casein and lactose removed and is not the same as whey protein, which can be highly insulinogenic. Please check the ingredients on whey protein isolate to make sure there are no added sweeteners.
Oat fiber is the pure insoluble fiber from the outer husk of the oat. Because it is not digestible, it does not impact blood glucose.
You can store this bread in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you want to freeze it, you can do so for up to 3 months. We recommend slicing it first and placing parchment paper in between for easy access to the right amount.