Gluten-free ham and cheese quiche with sun-dried tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup (31⁄3 oz.) 160 ml (95 g) sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2⁄3 cup (2¼ oz.) 160 ml (65 g)
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml or melted butter
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 3 oz. (½ cup) 85 g (130 ml) shallotshallots or , chopped, chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 6 eggeggs
- 1 cup 240 ml
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. 110 g Parma ham, chopped
- ½ cup (1 oz.) 120 ml (27 g) sun-dried tomato, slicedsun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 7 oz. (5½ cups) 200 g (1.3 liters) lettuce
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pulse sunflower seeds and sesame seeds into a coarse flour in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients for the pie crust and mix into a smooth dough. Shape dough into a flat disk.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or more. You can also prepare the dough a day ahead, or freeze and thaw before making the quiche.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Take out the dough and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. Alternatively, press directly into in a pie dish with well-oiled fingers. Pre-bake for 5-7 minutes; this ensures the crust won't get soggy.
- Fry onions in oil until soft. Add the thyme.
- Beat eggs and cream together in a bowl. Add onion, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour into the crust.
- Add the ham to the quiche, pushing it gently into the egg mixture. Top with sun-dried tomatoes.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes or until the egg mixture solidifies. Cover with aluminum foil towards the end to protect the edges from getting too dark.
- The quiche is best served lukewarm with leafy greens and vinaigrette.
We used a large, deep pie dish here, but you can also use single serving molds. You would need to adjust the baking time and keep an eye on them. In this case, cover the base with aluminum foil when you are pre-baking so it doesn't burn.
If you're cutting back on dairy, substitute the cream with mayonnaise.
Recommended special equipment
Pie dish or pie form