Gluten-free ham and cheese quiche with sun-dried tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup (31⁄3 oz.) 160 ml (95 g) sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2⁄3 cup (2¼ oz.) 160 ml (65 g)
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml light olive oil or melted butter
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 3 oz. (½ cup) 85 g (130 ml) shallotshallots or chopped chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 6 eggeggs
- 1 cup 240 ml
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. 110 g Parma ham chopped
- ½ cup (1 oz.) 120 ml (27 g) sun-dried tomato mincedsun-dried tomatoes minced
- 7 oz. (5½ cups) 200 g (1.3 liters) lettuce
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix sunflower seeds and sesame seeds into a coarse flour in a food processor or blender. Add the remaining ingredients for the pie crust and mix into a smooth dough. Shape dough into a flat disk.
- Put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or more. You can also prepare the dough a day ahead or freeze and thaw before making the quiche.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Take out the dough and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper or press directly into in a pie dish with well-oiled fingers. Prebake for 5-7 minutes; this ensures that it won't get soggy.
- Fry onions in oil until soft. Add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs and cream together in a bowl. Add onion, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour into the crust.
- Press the ham into the egg mixture. Top with sun-dried tomatoes.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes or until the egg mixture solidifies. Cover with aluminium foil towards the end to protect the edges from getting too much color.
- Serve lukewarm with leafy greens and vinaigrette.
Here we have used a large and deep pie dish but you can also bake it in single serving molds. You just need to adjust the baking time and keep an eye on it. In this case, you should cover with aluminium foil when you are prebaking so the crust does not get burnt.
If you want to cut down on dairy, you can substitute the cream with mayonnaise.
Recommended special equipment
- Food processor or blender
- Pie dish or pie form