Low carb chicken fricassee
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) large yellow onion, dicedlarge yellow onions, diced
- ½ lb (1¾ cups) 220 g (400 ml) carrotcarrots
- 4 (52⁄3 oz.) 4 (160 g) celery stalk, dicedcelery stalks, diced
- 4 4 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 2 bay leafbay leaves
- 3 tsp 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 lbs 1.4 kg skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup 240 ml chicken broth
- 1 cup 240 ml tomato sauce
- 2½ lbs 1.1 kg cauliflower
- 4 oz. 110 g butter
- ¾ tsp ¾ tsp salt
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add avocado oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic and bay leaves.
- Sauté, stirring often for 10 minutes until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add all of the seasonings and stir well.
- Add the chicken, broth and tomato sauce. Stir well and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Allow to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chicken is fall-apart tender, use two forks to break up the thighs into shreds or chunks of chicken. Stir well. Keep hot while you prepare the cauliflower.
- Using a grater or grater attachment on a food processor, shred the cauliflower.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add the cauliflower and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until the riced cauliflower has softened a bit. Add salt while frying. You can also cook the grated cauliflower in the microwave. Put it in a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave it for 5-6 minutes. Mix in the butter and let it melt. Serve with the chicken fricassee.
You can also use chicken drumsticks or varied chicken parts, but if you are using bone-in meat, you will have to cook longer on the stove top. A good way to tell it is ready is when you can easily tear the meat away from the bone.
This meal freezes well so feel free to meal prep several servings and freeze them for later.
Recommended special equipment
Blender or food processor
If you are making this in the slow cooker, transfer the vegetable mixture to the slow cooker after Step 3, stir in the chicken, broth and tomato sauce. Set to cook on high for 6 hours.
Yes, this would be too high carb for keto; this is a recipe from our moderate low carb collection.
All of our recipes list the nutrition information per serving. This is one of our moderate low carb recipes.
Yes, the nutrition information accounts for all of the listed ingredients.
I changed it a bit:
I used thighs.
I did the sauteing on top of the stove then put the chicken in pot and put covered, in a 350 oven, for about 1hour.
(I used a cast iron pot.)
When done I put thighs(still whole) under broiler to crisp up. Meanwhile, I cooked down the liquid to thicken a bit then added cream....great gravy!