- 1½ lbs 700 g green cabbage
- 1⁄3 lb 150 g butter
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons tex-mex seasoning
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 lb 300 g shredded cheese, preferably cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 lb 150 g leafy greens or lettuce
Nutrition75% Fat20% Protein4% Carbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Shred the cabbage finely with a sharp knife or in a food processor.
- Fry the cabbage in 3 ounces of butter in a large frying pan or a wok on medium-high heat. Fry until soft, but don’t let the cabbage turn brown. This can take a little while; roughly 10 minutes.
- Add spices and vinegar. Stir and continue to fry for a couple of minutes. Set aside on a plate.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the same pan. Sauté the ground beef and fry on medium-high heat until most of the juices have evaporated. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Add cooked cabbage and sauté together with the beef for a minute. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir ⅔ of the cheese into the cabbage mix and place in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and bake for 15–20 minutes or until the cheese browns nicely.
- Serve with a green salad.
Love it? Then check out our other crack slaw recipes with different spices and flavors!
More crack slaw recipes
Get started challenge
This recipe and the ones below are examples of the delicious meals you have on our Get started challenge. We provide a meal plan and all the knowledge and support you need to make low carb simple. It’s free and you can sign up at any time!