Low-carb pizza dog casserole
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef
- 2 oz. 50 g red onion, dicedred onions, diced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups 700 ml unsweetened pizza sauce
- 12 oz. 350 g uncured hot dog, sliced lengthwise down the middle and then cut in halfuncured hot dogs, sliced lengthwise down the middle and then cut in half
- 4 oz. 110 g (225 ml) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Italian seasoning, for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) degrees F.
- Heat butter in a large cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, onions, garlic and salt. Cook, while breaking up the beef, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pizza sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes.
- Lay the hot dog slices on top of the casserole mixture in the skillet. Cover the entire mixture with the shredded cheese.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Instructions for Instant Pot
- Coat the bottom of a 6-quart Instant pot with the coconut oil.
- Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic and press Sauté. Cook while crumbling the meat for 5 minutes or until beef is almost cooked through.
- Press Cancel to stop the Sauté. Drain the excess grease. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients. Seal the lid, press Pressure Cook or Manual, and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- Once finished, let the pressure release naturally.
- Remove the lid and stir well before serving.
Store and reheat
Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Reheat in a baking dish in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for a few minutes or until warmed through.