Low-carb pizza dog casserole
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef
- ½ cup 125 ml red onion, dicedred onions, diced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups 700 ml unsweetened pizza sauce
- 12 oz. 350 g uncured hot dog, sliced lengthwise down the middle and then cut in halfuncured hot dogs, sliced lengthwise down the middle and then cut in half
- 1 cup 225 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Italian seasoning, for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) degrees F.
- Heat butter in a large cast iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, onions, garlic and salt. Cook, while breaking up the beef, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pizza sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes.
- Lay the hot dog slices on top of the casserole mixture in the skillet. Cover the entire mixture with the shredded cheese.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Instructions for Instant Pot
Coat the bottom of a 6-quart Instant pot with the coconut oil. Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic and press Sauté. Cook while crumbling the meat for 5 minutes or until beef is almost cooked through. Press Cancel to stop the Sauté. Drain the excess grease. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients. Seal the lid, press Pressure Cook or Manual, and set the timer for 5 minutes. Once finished, let the pressure release naturally. Remove the lid and stir well before serving.
Store and reheat
Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Reheat in a baking dish in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for a few minutes or until warmed through.