- ½ cup (12⁄3 oz.) 120 ml (50 g) coconut flour
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp baking soda
- 6 6 eggeggs
- ½ cup 120 ml melted coconut oil
- 1 lb 450 g ground fresh sausage or bacon
- 6 oz. (12⁄3 cups) 170 g (400 ml) chopped celery stalkchopped celery stalks
- 3 oz. (½ cup) 85 g (130 ml) chopped yellow onionchopped yellow onions
- 6 oz. (2½ cups) 170 g (600 ml) sliced mushrooms
- 1¼ cups 300 ml chicken broth or more if you like a moist stuffing
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried sage
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until very smooth.
- Grease a small bread pan and fill about ⅔ of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cornbread to cool before crumbling for the stuffing. It can be made ahead, and even frozen.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Place sausage, mushrooms, celery and onions in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Crumble the sausage and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine cooled sausage mixture with crumbled cornbread, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, and sage.
- Mix well and transfer to a 9 × 12 inch baking dish. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes or until well set and cooked through.
For a denser, less eggy cornbread, go ahead and substitute 3 of the 6 eggs with 1/3 cup of coconut milk. Yowsa! Who knew stuffing could be low-carb? This recipe is part of a collaboration with Maria Emmerich, a best-selling American cookbook author. Check out her website for more keto inspiration and recipes.