No-bean keto chili
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) , chopped, chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp chipotle powder or smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1¾ lbs 800 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) fresh tomato, dicedfresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- 2 2 fresh jalapeño, slicedfresh jalapeños, sliced
- 1 cup 240 ml
- salt and ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry until soft.
- Add the chili powder, chipotle powder or smoked paprika powder, and cumin, stirring for a minute or so to extract the flavor from the spice.
- Add the ground beef or turkey. Use a spatula to crumble the meat and cook until no longer pink, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeños, and broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- For serving, top the chili with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, jalapeños, and chives.
How to cook keto Instant Pot chili
Follow steps one to three, using the InstaPot to brown the spices and meat. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeños, and broth to the pot. Cover and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and then natural release.
How to make chili in a crock pot
Follow steps one to three. Add the browned meat, tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeños, and broth to the slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on low heat for five to six hours.
Should you drain the fat from the ground beef?
Whether or not to drain the fat after cooking the ground beef is a matter of personal preference. It also depends on the type of beef you use and the percent fat content. We prefer not to drain the fat to make the chili richer.
Delicious substitutions for ground beef
Our hearty chili is equally delicious when made with ground pork, ground turkey, or venison. In fact, using small chunks of pork, steak, or venison will help to change the texture and can resemble the mouthfeel that beans often provide.
Are chili beans keto friendly?
Most types of beans such as red kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans should be avoided on a standard ketogenic diet due to their high carbohydrate content. Most cooked beans contain about 12 grams of net carbs per 3 oz. (90 grams).
There are some exceptions such as green beans and black soybeans that only contain about 2 grams of net carbs per 3 oz. (90 grams). If you tolerate more carbs, feel free to add any beans of your choice.
Other potential substitutes for beans might include chopped zucchini or mushrooms, both of which provide additional texture with a very subtle flavor.
What to serve chili with?
This dish tastes great with fresh cilantro and lime. Using full-fat crème fraiche instead of sour cream is even tastier.
How to store chili?
We're guessing you won't have any leftovers, but if you do, chili is one of those dishes that tastes even better a day or two after it's made. If you do find yourself with leftovers, it will keep for three to four days. You can also try making a chili dog using our hot dog buns that have only 1 gram of net carbs per serving.