Keto chicken à la queen
- 3 oz. 85 g butter
- 8 oz. (3¼ cups) 230 g (800 ml) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz. (6 tbsp) 55 g (85 ml) green bell pepper, choppedgreen bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (1½ oz.) 1 (40 g) large celery stalk, choppedlarge celery stalks, chopped
- 2 oz. (52⁄3 tbsp) 55 g (80 ml) yellow onion, choppedyellow onions, chopped
- 1 oz. 28 g canned pimento peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 oz. (4 tbsp) 55 g (55 ml) cream cheese
- 3 3 chicken bouillon cubechicken bouillon cubes
- ½ cup 120 ml chicken broth
- 1 cup 240 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cooking sherry (optional)
- 2 2 room temperature egg yolk, beatenroom temperature egg yolks, beaten
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp white pepper
- 1¼ lbs 550 g cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded
- Use a large skillet to melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, celery, and onion and sauté on medium high heat until the veggies are just tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and measure in the pimentos, cream cheese, bouillon, broth, and heavy cream. Stir to melt the cream cheese and bouillon. Simmer for an additional 6 to 8 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sherry.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of the sauce into the egg yolks. Slowly pour the egg yolks into the veggies and sauce, stirring as the eggs are added.
- Add the chicken and stir to incorporate it into the sauce mixture.
- Return to a low heat if needed to thoroughly warm the dish, taking care to keep the heat low so that the eggs do not curdle. Serve immediately.
This version uses chicken broth and bouillon. The bouillon enriches the flavor while not adding more liquid to the broth so that the sauce is thicker.
Another trick for thickening the sauce is to incorporate egg yolks. Adding tempered egg yolks on low heat creates a thicker, richer gravy similar to a hollandaise or even light custard. You can omit this part, but the dish is much better with the yolks.
The sherry is also optional but provides a signature flavor for the sauce.
If your bouillon or broth is very salty, then you might need to adjust the salt in this recipe.
You can use a rotisserie chicken to make this recipe easier and faster.
Yes, if you omit peppers and mushrooms, the dish will be lower carb. I do not have the specific carb count it would be.
Great taste and great consistency.
Yes, this can be frozen. You can also adjust the number of servings that you make each time using the drop down menu above the list of ingredients.
Yes, chicken broth would be the same as chicken stock in the UK.
I served the dish on a mix of cauliflower-broccoli rice I found at the market (frozen pack). It was excellent, and I actually like the flavor better than just the plain cauliflower rice.
I highly recommend this absolutely delectable dish, it's now on my favorite list I'll be making it again soon. Family loved it! DietDoctor.com rocks with the recipes!
Thanks, Carole! So glad you love it!