If you love pork, you really, really, really, love pulled pork. And we guarantee this is going to be one of your favorites. It’s loaded with earthy coriander, sweet and savory cinnamon, and deep bodied wine. You can pull this pork apart with two forks in a nanosecond, and have it on the platter with all of your favorite accountments in the blink of an eye.
- 2 2 red onionred onions
- 1 1 whole garlicwhole garlics
- ¾ cup 175 ml red wine
- ½ cup 125 ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons coriander seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 lbs 1.4 kg pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon salt
- Peel and slice the red onions into thin wedges. Cut the garlic cloves in half. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade. Place a large freezer bag inside a larger freezer bag, and add half the onion mix to the bag.
- Rinse the pork collar, dry it well, and rub it all over with salt. Place the collar in the freezer bag and pour the marinade over it. Press out all air from the bag, seal the bag shut, and place it in a bowl. Leave the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours, preferably longer.
- Preheat the oven to 260°F (125°C).
- Place the meat, the rest of the onion mix and the marinade in an oven-safe casserole dish. Close it with a tight-fitting lid, and place the dish in the lower part of the oven for about 5 to 6 hours. In the picture, the meat was cooked in an electric slow-cooker; it turned out extremely juicy and delicious. If using a slow-cooker, the meat will be ready in about 8 to 12 hours if set on low, but it also depends on the brand of the slow-cooker you’re using.
- To serve, pull the meat apart with two forks and mix it thoroughly with the gravy. Taste and adjust for salt. Serve this dish with low-carb bread, garlic butter and coleslaw.
Arugula/rocket is perfect with this succulent meat!
The recipe is from Swedish chef Birgitta Höglund’s book: Low Carb High Fat and Paleo Slow Cooking: 60 Healthy and Delicious LCHF Recipes.