Keto pulled pork Afelia
- ¾ cup 180 ml red wine
- ½ cup 120 ml olive oil
- 2 tsp 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coriander seed, crushed
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g) red onionred onions
- 1 1 whole garlicwhole garlics
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp salt
- 2½ lbs 1.1 kg pork shoulder
- Combine the red wine, olive oil, dried thyme, coriander seed, black pepper, and cinnamon.
- Peel and slice the red onions into thin wedges. Cut the garlic cloves in half. Mix the onion and garlic together in a sealable Tupperware dish.
- Add half of the onion and garlic mix to a large, sturdy freezer bag. Store the other half of the mixture in the refrigerator until the meat is marinated and you are ready to cook.
- Rinse the pork collar, dry it well, and rub it all over with salt. Place the pork in the freezer bag and pour the marinade over it. Press out all air from the bag, seal the bag shut, and place it in a bowl. Leave the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 260°F (125°C).
- Place the meat, the rest of the onion and garlic mix, and the marinade in an oven-safe casserole dish. Close it with a tight-fitting lid, and place the dish in the lower part of the oven for about 5 to 6 hours.
- You can also cook the meat in an electric slow cooker. The meat will be ready in about 8 to 12 hours if set on low, but it also depends on the brand of the slow-cooker you’re using. Make sure to check instructions.
- To serve, pull the meat apart with two forks and mix it thoroughly with the gravy. Taste and adjust for salt.
Arugula (rocket) is perfect with this succulent meat! You can also serve this dish with low carb bread, garlic butter, and coleslaw.
You can cook this dish in your instant pot too! After marinading, cook meat with the marinade for 1 hr on high or according to your instant pot instructions. You can also cut the pork into large chunks and it will be ready in about 40 minutes.
The recipe is from Swedish chef Birgitta Höglund's book: Low Carb High Fat and Paleo Slow Cooking: 60 Healthy and Delicious LCHF Recipes.
If I were to make it again, I'd probably increase the spices by another half and play around with a little vinegar at the end. Just our taste...
Onions, garlic, wine and the herbs have carbs.
How would it go in a smoker cooker please . By the way loving the recipes!
I think this would work well in a smoker! Follow your smoker's instructions for time and temp.
Hi, Jeff! It's referring to the natural gravy (or juices) that is made by cooking the meat.
Hi Ann! That means 1 head of garlic. Please note that that is for 6 servings.
Broth will work, but the flavor profile will change. It will still be a nice pulled pork dish.
I know we should not care about calories and nutrition, but I do, sorry.
Here we have a serving of 190g of pork shoulder and the Nutrition tab says 34g of protein. It seemed me a little low so I looked there: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/import/Pork_Lamb_Nutrit...
For a serving of 84g of pork shoulder, they say 21g of protein.
Or is it a piece of shoulder with the bone? Anyway I will cook it.
Hi, Denise! This could be because we measure meat nutritional info when it's raw, and with high fat meats like pork, the macros can change significantly when cooked.