This meal is simple rustic deliciousness. The combination of tart cabbage, luscious basil, and savory beef is melt-in-your-mouth fabulous. This is keto at its finest.
- 12⁄3 lbs 750 g green cabbage
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g butter
- 11⁄3 lbs 600 g ground beef
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 oz. 90 g leek, thinly slicedleeks, thinly sliced
- 8 tablespoons 120 ml fresh basil
- 1 cup 225 ml mayonnaise or sour cream, for serving
- Shred the green cabbage finely with a cheese slicer, sharp knife or in a food processor.
- Fry the cabbage in about half of the butter (or substitute olive oil) in a large frying pan or wok on medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until just softened.
- Add vinegar, salt, onion powder, and pepper. Stir and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until well incorporated. Reserve sautéed cabbage to a bowl.
- Heat the rest of the butter or oil in the pan. Add the garlic and leeks, and sauté for a minute.
- Add meat, and continue frying until cooked through. Sauté until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add tomato paste and mix well. Lower the heat a little and add reserved cabbage and fresh basil. Stir until cooked through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with a dollop of sour cream or mayonnaise and perhaps even a green salad.
There’s a reason we nicknamed this cabbage concoction “crack slaw.” It’s utterly addictive! You can double the recipe and freeze it for when the urge strikes!