Keto Chinese pork stew with cabbage
- 1½ lbs 650 g pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1¾ cups 425 ml water
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 1 star anise
- 1½ lbs 650 g Napa cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coconut oil, for sauteeing
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ oz. (7 tbsp) 45 g (110 ml) scallion, thinly slicedscallions, thinly sliced
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Over medium-high heat, melt half of the coconut oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the pork, occasionally stirring until browned on all sides, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the cabbage, and stir to combine. Simmer with the lid on for 45 minutes or until the meat becomes tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the star anise before serving.
- Heat the coconut oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and saute for about 5 minutes or until tender, and remove from heat. Drizzle the sesame oil over, and toss together to coat fully.
- Divide the cabbage between serving bowls, ladle the stew on top and sprinkle with scallions.
If you want a different side dish with the stew, feel free to serve with cauliflower rice, butter-fried green cabbage or zoodles. If you don't eat pork, you can choose an alternative source of protein such as beef, lamb, or chicken. Adjust the cooking times accordingly.