Keto chicken karahi
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml ghee
- 2 lbs 900 g boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 lb (2½ cups) 450 g (600 ml) tomato, halvedtomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garam masala seasoning
- 3 3 green chili pepper, dividedgreen chili peppers, divided
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried fenugreek (kasoori methi), sliced (optional)
- ½ cup (3 oz.) 120 ml (90 g) Greek yogurt (4% fat)
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chopped
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Heat the ghee in a karahi, kadai, or wok. Then turn the heat up to high and add the chicken. Season with salt. Fry until most of the pink flesh has turned white, and then add in the ginger and garlic paste.
- Continue cooking the chicken until the garlic and ginger are fragrant and the meat begins to turn brown. Add the tomatoes and lower the heat a bit. Cover and cook until the tomatoes soften and you can pull off all the skin.
- Smash the tomatoes with the back of your spoon to almost purée them. Then add in all the spices: the cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric, black pepper, and garam masala. Give it all a good mix and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add the fenugreek and 2/3 of the green chillies, and mix well. Cook uncovered on high heat until the gravy has thickened to a consistency you like. Normally karahi doesn't have much gravy, but it's nice and thick.
- Once it's cooked to your liking, add the yogurt and cilantro, and give it a final mix. Let it cook for a minute before serving with the last green chili chopped and sprinkled on top, along with the ginger.
If you're a fan of spicy food, don't hesitate to chop the chilies before adding them. It will give this karahi even more kick.
Diet Doctor’s recipe team has slightly adjusted this recipe to follow our guidelines. You’ll find the original recipe in Sahil's cookbook, "Keto Life".