Caramelized onion and cheese pita
- 1 1 yellow onion, minced and caramelized in butteryellow onions, minced and caramelized in butter
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (15 g) chia seeds, soaked in 3/4 cup boiling water
- 6 6 egg at room temperature, separated yolks and whites into two bowlseggs at room temperature, separated yolks and whites into two bowls
- 1 cup 225 ml cream cheese
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (15 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup 225 ml (100 g) grated aged cheddar cheese
- ½ cup 125 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Chop the onion finely and fry in butter until soft, golden and caramelized.
- Add boiling water to chia seeds, stir well and let sit until soft and pudding like.
- Separate the yolks and whites into two bowls and set the whites aside.
- Mix cream cheese and yolks until smooth, then add in baking powder, psyllium husk and salt. Stir until evenly distributed. Add cooked onion, softened chia seeds and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Beat the whites to stiff peaks. Fold into the liquid mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Pour half the batter on to each sheet and spread evenly to the edges with a spatula. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Cook in oven until golden, or for about 25 minutes.
- Once cooked, cut into rectangles. Store in the fridge or freezer in a ziplock bag, using the parchment it was cooked on to layer in between each piece so they don't stick together. Will keep for one week in the fridge and six months in the freezer. Reheat in oven for a warm sandwich bread or slathered with butter for a treat on its own.
These pitas freeze well for up to six months.