For days when you feel like eating a burger but don't want beef, these crispy tuna burgers will step up to the plate! So simple, so keto, so satisfying. We like to eat these high-protein patties in lettuce "buns" topped with a slice of tomato and a dollop of mayo — what are your go-to toppings?
- 1¼ lbs 550 g canned tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 6 oz. (1½ cups) 170 g (350 ml) shredded cheese
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Drain and squeeze out any excess liquid from the canned tuna before mixing it with all the other ingredients (except for the olive oil) in a medium-sized bowl.
- Shape the mixture into small patties, about 2 inches (5 cm) wide and 2/5" (1 cm) thick.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add enough oil to coat the base of the pan. Once the oil is hot add the tuna patties to the pan. To avoid overcrowding, you may need to fry them in batches. Flatten them by lightly pressing down with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy.
You can make the burgers dairy-free by replacing the shredded cheese with 1 more tbsp of mayonnaise per serving.