Zucchini bacon fritters with avocado mayo and crispy egg
- 20 oz. 550 g , shredded
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 3 oz. 85 g bacon, cut into small pieces
- 3½ oz. 100 g parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp light olive oil, for frying
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp light olive oil, for frying
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp , chopped (optional)
Spicy avocado mayonnaise
- Place the avocado in a small bowl, and mash with a fork. Add the mayonnaise, garlic powder, lemon juice, red chili pepper, and a pinch of salt.
- Stir together to combine. If necessary, season with more lemon juice, salt, and/or chili pepper, to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Zucchini bacon fritters
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the bacon and fry until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Keep the bacon grease in the pan, as will be used later.
- Add the zucchini to the colander. Sprinkle with the salt, and toss together. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes, 30 minutes for maximum effect.
- Use a cotton towel, squeeze out all the juices. Pull the sides up and twist together over the sink, squeezing, until most of the juices are extracted from the towel.
- Add the zucchini, cooked bacon, and the rest of the fritter ingredients (except the oil) to a medium-sized bowl. Mix together until well combined.
- Use the bacon grease, and heat over medium heat. To make portions, use a 1/3 measuring cup (approximately 80 ml), to scoop the zucchini mixture and form fritters. Add olive oil as required to keep the pan greased.
- Reduce temperature to medium-low, and place the fritters into the pan. Gently press the surfaces with a spatula to make them crispier, and easier to flip. Fry the fritters for about 5-6 minutes per side, until they become golden brown. Flip carefully to avoid breaking. Check them from time to time, but don't flip, just have a look. While the fritters cook, prepare the eggs.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, in a medium-sized frying pan. Once hot, crack the eggs into the pan. Fry, untouched, for 5-7 minutes, or until the bottoms are crispy golden, and the egg yolks are soft and runny. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, to keep warm in the pan, until the fritters are done.
- Equally divide and stack the fritters between plates, top each with a crispy egg, a sprinkle of cilantro, and a dollop of avocado mayonnaise on the side. Enjoy!
Watch your pan and adjust the heat so the fat doesn’t get burned, you can also put some more oil when you’re making another batch.
The longer you let the zucchini rest with the salt the more liquid you can remove from the zucchini and it makes the zucchini fritters even crispier.
Another option is to squeeze the liquid out with clean hands, although it can be messy
You can - scoop the zucchini mixture into your hands, and shape each portion into pancake-like rounds.