Low-carb harissa chicken with lime sauce
- ¼ cup 60 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 5 oz. (5⁄6 cup) 140 g (210 ml) red onion, peeled and quarteredred onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 lbs 900 g chicken thighs (bone-in with skin)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup 180 ml
- 1 1 lime, zest and juicelimes, zest and juice
- ¼ cup 60 ml , chopped finely
- 4½ oz. (41⁄3 cups) 130 g (1 liter) baby spinach
- 5 oz. 140 g cucumber, diced or sliced into ribbons
- Combine the harissa paste and the olive oil and spread it over the chicken thighs, coating them well. Place them in a Ziploc bag together with the red onion and seal. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F (200° C), and line a shallow baking tray.
- Lay the chicken thighs on the tray, skin side up, and arrange the onion wedges around them.
- Season to taste and bake for 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F (72° C) and chicken is crispy and golden.
- While the chicken bakes, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Store the sauce in the fridge until use.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and toss in a bowl with the baby spinach until the spinach wilts from the residual heat. You can also drizzle some of the pan juices over if you like.
- Peel the cucumber with a vegetable peeler into ribbons. Serve with the chicken and lime sauce.
Make this dish dairy-free by replacing the sour cream with mayonnaise. It will also bump up the fat content.