- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) large , dicedlarge , diced
- 3 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 85 g (160 ml) diced carrotdiced carrots
- 2 oz. (9 tbsp) 55 g (130 ml) diced celery stalkdiced celery stalks
- 4 4 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 2 bay leafbay leaves
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1¼ lbs 550 g boneless chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 lb 450 g ham hockham hocks
- 1 cup 240 ml unsweetened pumpkin puree or diced raw pumpkindiced raw pumpkins
- 3 cups 700 ml chicken broth
- 3 oz. 85 g radish, halvedradishes, halved
- 5 oz. 140 g cauliflower florets
- lemon wedgeslemons wedges
- Heat a large pot over medium heat while you dice all the vegetables.
- Pour the oil into the pot, then add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and bay leaves.
- Sauté, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes until fragrant and aromatic. Add in all of the seasonings, the chicken thighs and the ham hocks.
- Sauté, stirring often until the chicken is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add in the pumpkin puree and the bone broth, bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the radishes and cauliflower florets. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat when the meat is falling off of the ham hocks, and use tongs to shred the tender chicken thighs and fish out the ham hock bones. Also remove the bay leaves.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.
Depending on the size of the chicken thighs, you can use 6 or 8 pieces for the stew.
How to make in a pressure cooker
To make this in a pressure cooker, heat the appliance on sauté mode and cook the sofrito all the way through the browning step. Once you add in the broth and pumpkin, cancel the sauté function. Add in the radishes and cauliflower florets. Close the lid and set it to pressure cook on high for 40 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, open the lid and remove the ham hock bones and bay leaves.