Keto Greek egg and lemon soup with chicken
- 1 lb 450 g boneless chicken thighs
- 4 cups 950 ml water
- 2 2 chicken bouillon cubechicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1 bay leafbay leaves
- 12 oz. 350 g cauliflower
- 5 oz. 140 g butter
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 1 1 lemon, juice and zestlemons, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh thyme or fresh parsley
- salt and ground black pepper
- Place the thinly sliced chicken thighs in a saucepan, add cold water, and bring to a boil. Add bouillon cubes and bay leaf.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for at least 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the meat and bay leaf. Keep the broth warm.
- Grate cauliflower roughly (until it resembles rice) and add to the saucepan. Increase heat, add butter, and boil for a few minutes.
- Beat eggs and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add about a cup of the hot soup to the bowl to temper the eggs. Give it a good mix.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the eggs, stirring continuously. Return the pot to the heat and let the soup simmer for a few minutes until the soup thickens slightly, but don't boil — it might curdle.
- Mix the soup with an immersion blender or a hand mixer until smooth.
- Return the chicken to the soup. Serve with lemon zest and finely chopped parsley or thyme.
This soup can be reheated over medium heat until simmering. But again, be careful not to let boil. It would still taste delicious, but you want to avoid that curdled look.
For a shortcut, try pre-cooked or leftover chicken or turkey. Just skip the first two steps and warm up the poultry in the broth in step 6.
Recommended special equipment
Immersion blender or hand mixer