Proscuitto-wrapped mozzarella sticks with tomato basil salad
- 1½ oz. 45 g cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp ½ tsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 oz. 110 g sliced prosciutto
- 2 oz. (½ cup) 55 g (120 ml) mozzarella cheese string cheese
- Chop the tomatoes and basil and place in a small bowl. Stir in the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the slices of Proscuitto on a plate and remove the wrapping from each string cheese. Wrap 1-2 slices of Proscuitto around each mozzarella stick.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat. May be made a day before serving.
We used Proscuitto, but you could use any ham or turkey that you prefer.
For a creamy tomato salad add 1/2 teaspoon of mayonnaise instead of olive oil.
About balsamic vinegar
This recipe calls for just a splash of balsamic vinegar. When selecting balsamic vinegar, check for added sugars. Some brands have more carbs than others. You can also substitute red wine vinegar instead.
Pack Proscuitto-wrapped mozzarella sticks with a quick tomato-basil salad for a lunch box, picnic, or enjoy them as a simple meal in minutes. Each wrapped stick offers about 10 grams of protein, so make as many or as few as you need to satisfy your hunger.