Italian stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey
- 4 4 , 5-6 oz. each, 5-6 oz. each
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz. 110 g , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 3 3 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 lb 450 g ground turkey or ground beef
- ¾ tsp ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried basil
- 7 oz. 200 g crushed tomatoes
- 3 oz. 75 g baby spinach
- 7 oz. 200 g fresh mozzarella cheese preferably buffalo, sliced
- olive oil, for greasing
- ¾ cup 175 ml
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 3 oz. 75 g leafy greens
Stuffed bell peppers
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C). Grease a baking dish, that will fit the number of bell peppers being prepared, with olive oil.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and discard the stems, membranes, and seeds. Place the peppers in the baking dish, cut side up. If they are tipping, make a very thin slice across the bottom of the pepper(s), to level.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes or until soft, and then add the garlic and a pinch of salt. Stir together for another minute.
- Add the ground turkey, salt, black pepper, and basil to the pan, stirring together for about 7-10 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and mix in the crushed tomatoes and spinach. Cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the turkey mix, leaving about 1/4" (1/2 cm) space at the top to place the mozzarella cheese. Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- For serving, sprinkle with fresh parsley, a dollop of sour cream, and leafy greens on the side.
Squeeze some lemon juice over top to serve and sprinkle a little sea salt for that extra touch.