Italian stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey
These delectably aromatic little parcels will provide you with a wonderful flavor explosion. Generous seasoning combined with deliciously savory mozzarella make the perfect partners for sumptuous ground turkey all piled into roasted bell peppers. They really do taste as good as they look!
Stuffed bell peppers
- 4 (1 lb) 4 (475 g) red bell pepperred bell peppers
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 110 g (160 ml) yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 3 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 lb 450 g ground turkey or ground beef
- ¾ tsp ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried basil
- ¾ cup (6½ oz.) 180 ml (190 g) crushed tomatoes
- 3 oz. (2¾ cups) 85 g (650 ml) baby spinach
- 7 oz. (1¾ cups) 200 g (425 ml) fresh mozzarella cheese preferably buffalo, sliced
- olive oil, for greasing
- ¾ cup 180 ml sour cream
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 3 oz. (1½ cups) 85 g (350 ml) leafy greens
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
Stuffed bell peppers
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a baking dish, that will fit the number of bell peppers being prepared, with olive oil.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and discard the stems, membranes, and seeds. Place the peppers in the baking dish, cut side up. If they are tipping, make a very thin slice across the bottom of the pepper(s), to level.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes or until soft, and then add the garlic and a pinch of salt. Stir together for another minute.
- Add the ground turkey, salt, black pepper, and basil to the pan, stirring together for about 7-10 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and mix in the crushed tomatoes and spinach. Cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the turkey mix, leaving about 1/4" (1/2 cm) space at the top to place the mozzarella cheese. Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- For serving, sprinkle with fresh parsley, a dollop of sour cream, and leafy greens on the side.
Squeeze some lemon juice over top to serve and sprinkle a little sea salt for that extra touch.
Thanks for the feedback! So glad you love it!
Yes, that would work well. There will be slightly different fat/protein ratios but the carb count won't change.
There are 15 grams of net carbs per serving.
I enter the amount on my app and hence need to know. Almost all the recipes are for 4 servings. So how do I calculate for one serving? Thanks again!!
I'm unsure of what the weight will be, as peppers are different sizes and each one may be a bit different.
The best way to find serving sizes is to divide the amount of food as best you can into the 4 serving sizes.
In this particular instance, since the recipe calls for 4 peppers, I would consider each stuffed pepper to be a serving.
The nutrition information is for the ground turkey, as it is listed first in the ingredient options. If you used a lean ground beef, it would be very similar.
This is likely because the recipe was updated to use turkey. You could use beef if you prefer!