Ground beef casserole with peppers and eggplant
- 1 (5 oz.) 1 (140 g)
- 4 (1 lb) 4 (450 g) tomatotomatoes
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1¼ lbs 550 g
- salt and ground black pepper
- 7 oz. 200 g ground beef or ground chicken
- 7 oz. (6½ cups) 200 g (1.6 liters) fresh spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Put the whole pepper in the middle of the oven on a baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes until blackened.
- Quarter and seed the tomatoes. Place them skin side down in a baking dish. Drizzle with 1/3 of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the dish next to the peppers and bake for 30 minutes until skins are wrinkled and beginning to brown.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/2" (1 cm) thick slabs. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the eggplant and cook, turning frequently, until softened and browned. Transfer the eggplant to a plate, drizzle with half of the leftover olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat until all the slices are grilled.
- Remove the bell pepper and tomatoes from the oven (keep the oven on). Toss the blackened bell peppers into a plastic bag and close it tight. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook, stirring to break up the clumps, until browned.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach wilts and the meat is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bell peppers from the bag and peel them. Cut them in half, discard the seeds, and slice the peppers.
- Spoon the spinach and meat mixture into a casserole dish. Next, add the roasted pepper slices. Then add a layer of eggplant slices and finish with the tomatoes, skin side down.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes until bubbling.