Steak, chips with garlic & rosemary butter
- 1¼ lbs 550 g rutabaga, peeled and cut into strips
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 2 2 garlic clove, crushedgarlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 lb 450 g sirloin steaksirloin steaks or ribeye steak, 1 per portionribeye steaks, 1 per portion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the rutabaga in salted water for about 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the rutabaga is boiling, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the butter, garlic, and rosemary sprigs. When hot, add the steaks and season the top sides with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Fry for about 2 minutes on each side for rare and 3 minutes on each side for medium. Turn the steaks and season the other side. Tilt the pan and spoon the butter over the steaks as you cook them.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and set them aside to rest on a board or warm plate, tipping half of the butter over the top.
- Keep the pan over medium-high heat and add the rutabaga. Season and fry the chips for 3–4 minutes or until lightly browned all over. Serve straight away with the steaks.
Add a handful of greens drizzled with olive oil for a little color and to make it a complete meal.
If you want the fries to cook faster, cut into shoestring strips and cut boiling time to 6-7 minutes or until tender.
Diet Doctor’s recipe team has slightly adjusted this recipe to follow our guidelines. You’ll find the original recipe in Katie’s cookbook, "The 30 Minute Diabetes Cookbook: Eat to Beat Diabetes with 100 Easy Low-carb Recipes". Diet Doctor receives no payment or other considerations from the sale of Katie’s cookbooks or the publishing of this post.
This recipe calls for 8oz steak per person. It is written in this manner both to help make sure that the macros are accurate and also so that the shopping list will be as well.