Crispy fried tofu
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the tofu into small cubes, about 0.5" (1 cm). Distribute the tofu on a clean absorbent kitchen towel or paper towels. Pat it dry to remove any access moisture; this step is key for crispiness.
- On medium-high, heat up the coconut oil in an oven-safe skillet or use a regular frying pan and prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- When the oil is hot, add the tofu and salt. Fry for a couple of minutes or until the tofu is lightly golden. Add the tamari soy sauce and seasonings, or the flavorings of your choice. Stir the tofu, mixing it in well.
- Transfer the skillet with the tofu to the oven or distribute the tofu on the parchment-lined baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tofu is crispy.
Why bake the tofu in the oven?
Baking the tofu makes it drier and crispier. If you prefer softer tofu, skip this step and fry the tofu for a while longer on the stove-top.
Spice it up
Tofu pairs perfectly with Asian flavors such as sesame oil, tamari soy sauce, ginger garlic paste, and roasted sesame seeds.
If you prefer a Mediterranean vibe, fry the tofu in olive oil, garlic, thyme, and oregano.